As this semester comes to a close...I find myself reflecting alot...what i've learned, how i've grown, what I want to do when I go back...etc.
I was talking to a friend in London, and we talking about life when we get back blah blah blah and she made a comment that was just TOO real to not note. Being far from home and the comfort that is there you learn alot about yourself and capabilities. How to survive personally and socially. Now we're both "book" addicts...for many reasons...its a good way to spread info, find out info, and remain in contact with people...
When you're away you also learn alot about OTHER people...i.e. your friends. You learn about how their lives are without you...AND you learn who takes the time to keep in contact with you...who puts forth the effort to maintain relationships...and who deems you important enough in their lives to do all of these things. **17 snaps for that**
That being said, I would like to thank all the people who've: written on my wall, messaged me, chatted me, texted me, CALLED me, who responded to MY facebook posts, commented on my notes, and ANSWERED my calls. Its a little bit hard being so far from everyone, especially when you're like me and super nosy.
Sooo knowing that I'm not forgotten and cared about certainly helped me when I felt a little bit eentsy weentsy homesick.
As I reflected on my favorite places that I've been thus far...I found that my two favorite cities were Lisbon and London. What do these places have in common: 1) they start with L's
2) Theyre in Europe
3) They have a lot of history
4) Theyre distinctly gorgeous...
and MOST IMPORTANTLY
5) THEY'RE D I V E R S E
THE ONE THING that I realized is priceless to me...other than friends and family...is DIVERSITY!
As we know, diversity exists in more than ethnicity OR race...however I believe that much of diversity begins (lo menos) with physical distinctions. From different races and ethnicities, we get food, music, culture, among many other things. We adopt customs and adapt our own lifestyles to fit them or incorporate into our daily lives. Diversity is a beautiful thing. However, it definitely comes with ups and downs. In the presence of diversity we are able to learn about different customs but we also create our own judgements of groups...often based in ignorance...resulting in stereotypes. Good and Bad a stereotype is just plain ignorant.
This semester, I had an incident with some girls in my program...in regards to their own stereotypes and/or ignorant statements. Most of you reading this saw it on my facebook page...so there's no point in readdressing it. (if you haven't seen it and want to its still there under my notes) From this I learned about the way I want to address people whenever conflict arises regarding ignorance of this nature. BUT I also learned more about my appreciation for diversity (physical diversity). There was only one person who could truly relate to me and my feelings...although some could sympathize they were unable to Empathize.
**now [regular] diversity>> although we are the same race the other person did not feel the urgency to address the girls in the manner that I did...our approaches are COMPLETELY different**
At the same time, I would have equally not been content if we were ALL black and there was one person who was of another race. I really and truly appreciate diversity and always have. My friend, told me that my friend are like a model UN, everyone representing something different (i even listed this in my 25 things...lol) and it is certainly intentional. I just think that we have something to learn from everyone...and the more we learn the more we discover that we ARENT so different after all...maybe in name or color but at the root we have tons of similarities. Although we have similarities we also have our differences...and there's nothing wrong with that...its a good thing. Instead of fighting it and forcing assimilation or whatever you want to call it....we should embrace the people we are and were made to be.
Anywayyyyy...here in Spain its more than common for people to stare at me. YES because I'm black. Not because they don't trust me or fear me or any nonsense like that...but just because theyre curious. They havent seen different shades of black...they don't fully understand the concept of black vs. african/nationality...and thats fine...its not their fault. HOWEVER, I sometimes just want to live my life, without the burden of representation and with the option of just being NORMAL.
[if you REALLY want me to get in it...its basically living unequally...not for socioeconomic reason but because i have to deal with this burden at all times...but i'm not looking to get into that]
In Lisbon there was diversity...a few stared but they kind of just let me be. It was GREAT. Then there's London, where I'm not sure yet about their concept of "black" but I liked that when I sat on the bus I heard 5 different languages that I didn't understand. There may be a bit of seperationism going on in London...BUT...everyone embraces their culture and often are open to learning about other cultures...its not a BAD thing to be from another culture and WANT to continue with the customs of that country. It's a beautiful thing when we can just BE without judgement. ( don't get me wrong everywhere there is division there are stereotypes...but thats unavoidable) In a way, I think London is better off with immigrant, ethnicities, etc than america...just because I didn't see an overwhelming push to drop their tradition...I'm SURE its there, but either way either people are just pretty durn resistant or its not as abundant.
Anyhoo...in sum...i am DIVERSI-CENTRIC...my world revolves around diversity.
**Thats all for now...I'll finish my reflection en el fin** TWO WEEKS MORE ahhhhhhhh...no lo puedo creer!
Yay! You love my city! Love London! I guess there is separationism to an extent, but I think that is because of areas (one race can be the majority) whereas in the Generation Y culture, it's all about blending and mixing in. I teach, you teach about different cultures we all learn and it really is beautiful some people are resistant but it's not the majority at all... at least how things are going now
ReplyDeletexxo