Sunday, February 8, 2009

La Ciudad Roja

My first week in Granada has been pretty entertaining. I arrived on Sunday, my bags came Wednesday afternoon. I moved into my house and all of that Flamenco [in lieu of Jazz...get it?? jajajaja]

 

All of the buildings here are gorgeous! I saw a building yesterday that I was convinced was a cathedral or a museum...and it ended up being a soup kitchen. The beggars however, from what ive seen thus far, are far and few and most are from Romania. Its pretty sad, they sit outside of stores and ask for money...i guess very much like the states.

 

The spanish here is definitely differnt but i'm getting accustomed to it. I think most spanish that I hear after the Andalusian spanish wont be as difficult to understand.

 

Soo...Last night we were in some gringo chupiteria but this guy that works there was telling us to wait until 2 when this tight discoteque opened. So of course, its friday we have nothing else to do...so we wait. A little after two we left the chupiteria and started walking in some part of town that (of course) I didnt know. Its pretty cold out but we figure it's like right around the corner so of course we just continue walking...About 10 minutes later...we're still not there and I still dont know where i am...but I DO know that I'm seeing an incline.

 

As many of you know...i dont DO the outdoors Or physical activity. So I'm walking thinking to myself...what was i thinking?? I should have known this white boy would try and take a hike...

But i'm trying out this be positive thing while i'm here so I just let it go and kept walking. Five minutes into this hike I start feeling the burn and see NOTHING ahead but I know that 

1) i, again, have nothing better to do

2) have NO IDEA where i am

3) have NO IDEA where i was before or how to get home

4) i'm basically screwed because not only am i feeling the burn but i'm starting to feel dehydrated like ive been working out for 30 on the eliptical...but i cant stop because i'll get left.

 

Anyhoo, mia and i are kind of like...looking at each other like what have we gotten ourselves into...but we keep up with the group...as we keep walking though...we start to look around and realize that we're looking over Granada...

 

The city is probably the most beautiful thing that i've seen in a very very long time...especially at night because its about 2:30am at this point...at this point i was still feeling the burn but it ALMOST didnt matter for the view....we keep walking and the view just gets better and better...we can see el Alhambra and all of the city...including the path we just walked up which just looked really cool looking down at because it was kind of a spiral-ly path. We stop at the top of the hill, the top of the Albacin and see that its the final destination, El Camborio..at this point..I'd totally forgotten about the burn and was lost in my surroundings and trying to take a pic (which i Failed miserably at) of the city.

 

Granada used to be the moorish capital of Spain and their influence is mainly seen in el Albacin, where the Alhambra is located. The architecture and general design of the area is ridiculously beautiful. At night there are red lights on el Alhambra and for that reason it often called LA CIUDAD ROJA.

 

So we go inside and its kinda empty but they just opened so it was ok. Anyhoo...i don't really dance...but for some reason i dunno if it was the endorphins from the workout to get there or what but i was just feeling the music so the place just seemed extra extra tight. The DJ was really good though so I ended up having more fun that I can say i've had at a club since ATL (shout out to ANASTESIA). annnd they played a little Reggae = D

 

Overall the night was really fun. I'd say you can pretty much some it up with one moment. Everyone who came with us (people in CEA, 3 guys from Jersey, Stephens roommate from spain) got into one big circled and linked up and everyone swayed to Missin you by Biggie singing along with Faith Evans...half of the people on beat and the other have drunkenly trying to find it. For the entire 3minsomethingSeconds all was well...we knew where we were, we kind of understood everything being said and no one was freezing or feeling the burn...i'd say its a moment we were living Spain's unofficial motto NO PASA NADA.

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. It WAS so worth it!! I remember grumbling out my lips about how cold it was AND we walking to the middle of nowhere??!! The sad part was that I had on but with fur, 2 pairs of gloves, ear muffs, 2 layers of jackets and a turtleneck, AND a scarf. I was not playing with that weather. I felt so sorry for some ppl who tryna be cute over their health bc they had on only a dress, heels, and a thin sweater... smh............ AND I was still the life of the party jajajaja.,.. good times hombre

    ReplyDelete