Friday, June 4, 2010

GHANA! GHANA! GHANA! GHANA! Airplane Ride




OMG! So I hope our journey here was not an indication of the rest of my trip...
It started out with my parents packing HELLLA late as usual [like it was 4:50 our flight left @ 6 but I found out our plane was actually later than I though so i was thinking that we would be free from trouble.

Shouldve known better

me and my sister only using one of our checked luggage alottment because we know th rest will be filled with other things...
next thing you know, although there are 4 of us, we're checking 10 bags!!

In preparing for my own baggage, I made 2 carry-ons for myself. BUT after we check our luggage there are several little suitcases and my cousins who came with us ask: is that being checked? My parents: NO, thats [me and my sisters] carry on. I'm sure u can imagine my face...and if not it was this -________________-


Its right about now that we also realize our flight is delayed a good 2 hours....and they also realize that they forget the video camera and a couple of other things. So they ask my aunt to go back to the house for the stuff.

I realize time is a ticking and i STILL need to flat iron my hair soooo i go into the bathroom and begin the process...

During the full hour it takes for me....I work on my sisters hair and two people feel the need to make comments: "MMMM, giiiirl me next? I smell it!" and "Wow 'COOL' now do you know where the security guard's office is'"

-___________-

^Thats all I have to say about that.

Sooo our plane finally comes....and i awwwwlllllreeeaadddddyyyy know we 'bout to be running. When we get to JFk...we have an hour until our flight leave. We're in terminal 8....we need to be in terminal 3 (according to someone who works there) so we run to try and find the train to get to the right terminal....which took 30 minutes. 
We FINALLY get to the Emirates desk...where we have to get a new boarding pass...only to be met with attitude and hostility. but you ALREADDDDDDDDDY now I was ready, willing, and able to provide the counter attitude and hostility that they so clearly desired in return. 
Obvi, I pop off at the mouth to the manager and quickly inform he that he is NOT the boss because he also must answer to someone and I'll be sure to find out who that someone is.

Johanna, some slow girl that works with emirates who also wanted to rush us is chosen as the one to lead us to the security checkpoint. and her a%%hole self is very quick to take the stairs after seeing us STRUGGLE w/ our carry ons [c'mon SON not to be stereotypical but we all know africans dont travel light especially when going to africa].....pero bueno...i went off on her too.
I began with...."SOOOO can you explain why you all feel as though its appropriate to give us this attitude and to talk to us in the way you did..."
and well i could go on about the rest of the conversation...but thats besides the point...
We finally get on the plane for our 12 hr trip to Dubai...

When we arrive in Dubai they inform us that the temperature is 32 degrees CELSIUS!! #hotasHAYDEES!! and very humid as well. But after a 12 hour flight + the stress of traveling + 40 lb handluggage...we were TIRED and ready to get to the hotel...

Only to find out Emirates deosn't have a hotel for us...
-_________________________________________-

At this point we're all just irked....naw PISSED @ emirates. After about 40 minutes, we finally get a hotel and go about our merry way.

Dubai is such an interesting place because it's smack dab in the Middle East and seeing people in the attire typical over here is quite a sight to see. The customs also are quite different...as we were leaving the airport my dad went through the business class line. Me, my hermanita, and my madre tried to follow him. We were quickly stopped and ushered to the economy line. After we explained to the lady that we were following my dad...she said "Yeah but he's a man!" We ALL had a #PAUSE moment and reminded ourselves of where we were and just kept it trucking.

The rest of our journey was fine...although I don't quite understand when it was time to board why everyone rushed to the front given that 1) we all are going to the same destination 2) there are assigned seats..... >____>  

Pero bueno...now i'm Ghana, camcorder-less, w/o our 10 bags, and EXHAUSTED, but happy nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. Im tryna figure out why and how u went through Dubai to get to Ghana? :-/

    ReplyDelete