Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Social Networking Websites

Social Networking Websites:


So you might be wondering what this has to do with Granada: welllllllll...everyone who felt the need to give their [unasked for] critique of me...basically...thought that I was on facebook too much. Kamms also posted a link of a very articulate woman in her blog [http://kammsidlemind.blogspot.com/2009/06/shannon-matesky-my-space.html] and I kind of wanted to respond: 




I felt that it was none of their business how I felt the need to spend my time...PERO BUENO...maybe thats just me.


In my time abroad, I did spend a significant amount of time on facebook but that was because it was my contact with the world that I am a part of and love in my various communities. I know some people were ...

1) looking for an escape 

2) don't have relationships with people past...proximity relationships --> friends because they live by each other or whatever and they have nothing else to do but pass time with one another, fine but far from real or long lasting

3) Technologically challenged

Given that I don't fit into any of the above groups...I was on fb.


I've dedicated this post to the PROs of Social Networking websites...


Facebook [and similar websites] gives you semi-immediate contact to tons and tons of people, friends, coworkers, etc.


You can post pictures of babies growing up and send it to your cousin across the nation or the globe for that matter...and it's ALMOST like he or she is there to witness it on her own.


Facebook can create contact with people you MAY not reallyyyyy know but perhaps would like to know. We all know that you're not Best friends with alll of your facebook friends. Instead, maybe you had a class with them but didn't have a chance to really get to know them...strike up a facebook chat or wish them happy birthday...things are inevitably less awkward when you see them later on. It can even prevent someone from wearing the same outfit that someone wore the night before ; ]


Thats NOT to say:


Facebook SHOULD be your only contact with people. No one likes the overactive fb user that always messages, post, or chats you and then runs when they see you in person.


Facebook should also NOT be your eharmony.com its not your hook up website. Go to black planet or match.com for that.


Facebook can even RUIN an outfit...how?? Well everyone knows that little photoshoot before going out...is going to be on fb and everryyyyone can see those tagged pics...even if the party was a bust and no one saw ya...its on facebook...so don't play yourself.


 And we allll know the facebook stalkers (im not saying that i'm not one) it can be kind of awkward if you know someone only because theyre in all of your friends pics and you havent friended them. When you see them...all you can think of..are multiple goofy silly pics that you saw...you THINK you know them...but you don't.


Additionally...


Facebook can serve as a news source (not necessarily credible)...i did not have to watch the playoffs...whyyy? FB statuses. I often learn about the death of friends, leaders of the community, or celebrity via statuses and fb groups. 


 We can utilize the 1000s of applications...spreading awareness for cause, applying for jobs, looking for scholarships, the list goes on...


 We can become "fans" of our favorite artists and politicians and receive constant updates. 

and HEY lets Not forget...the news of ole boy or ole girl..."relationship status updates" tagged pics titled my boo...don't lie...it got you in trouble OR you did the fb snoop/investigation before...


In conclusion...


When I came back from Spain...twitter was EVERYWHERE!!! I had an account but it wasn't that big of deal...now its promoted on everything from the O! channel to CNN to Wale to The Ellen Show...it even served to "confuse" the Iranian government!


Facebook [and all of these other sites] can be whatever you want it to be. Should you rely on it, share every detail of your life, and let the virtual world REPLACE the real world? NO! But you certainly Should take advantage of it and stop fighting it just to say that you don't do what everyone else does...because guess what...its FUN and you're probably not doing anything else anyway.

2 comments:

  1. SON! I DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE 2 EXPLAIN YOURSELF TO ANY SERIOUS CRITICIZERS. WHO PROBABLY WERE ON FACEBOOK JUST AS MUCH AS YOU TO NOTICE YOUR EVER LINGERING PRESENCE ON THE VERY SAME SITE. FACEBOOK & TWITTER ARE THE FIRST SITES I NAVIGATE TO IN THE MORNING & THE LAST ONES I SEE AT NIGHT.

    FOR ME THESE MODES OF COMMUNICATION ACTUALLY STARTED MY COMMUNICATION WITH PEOPLE. I DO NOT TALK ON THE PHONE UNLESS IT'S TO MY MOM OR MANAGER. I REFUSE. I GOT A PROBLEM WITH THE PHONE. SO IF YOU WANNA BE IN CONTACT WITH ME, TEXT, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, OR IN PERSON. AND SINCE MANY PEOPLE I AM IN CONSTANT CONTACT WITH ARE NOT RIGHT DOWN THE STREET... SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES IT IS! SAY WHAT YOU WANT, BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS.

    AS FAR AS THE POET. I AGREE WITH HER. THESE NETWORKING SITES HAVE TAKEN THE PLACE OF PHYSICAL CONTACT. IT CAN BE UNHEALTHY, ESP IF ABUSED. I ALSO AGREE WITH HER ABOUT THE PRIVACY THING & THE PATRIOT ACT, IT'S VERY TRUE. MOST OF MY LIFE IF NOT ALL LOL IS ONLINE. AND THE PRIVACY SETTINGS ON FACEBOOK ONLY BLOCK SO MUCH! LOL

    GOOD POOST, LS!

    ReplyDelete